Re: Wich trombone to have?

As a trombonist who has spent the past few years trying out different bones,
I hope my experience may be of use.

I suspect by the fact you are looking at a King 4B, you may be looking for
larger bore instruments.  I have played the King, and indeed it is a fine
instrument, however, for me, it felt a very heavy trom and sometime a little
bit unforgiving for the hobby player.  The Soveriegn is fine instrument, yet
sadly Besson/B&H previous attempts at making a decent trom have blighted
this model before it starts.  I have a new model sovereign, amongst my
collection (I have 4 troms, it was 5 but the girlfriend complained)and it is
a fine trombone and well worthy of any decent top or 2nd trom player in any
section band.  I am sadly selling my Sovereign, cos my girlfriend is
becoming my wife and I need the money!!( sorry Nigel, if this is
advertising)yet I would recommend over the King.  I would recommend emailing
Nick Hudson, he is a Sovereign soloist but I believe he wouls give you a
very honest opinion.  Previously I have played a Bach 42, large bore, both
open wrap and closed wrap for the F attachment. These are great instruments
yet they need playing evry day to get bedded in properly and for the player
to be comfortable with them. I suffered if I had a few days off playing.  My
favourite is my Conn 88H.  Responsive, easy blowing, and early models have
the spring incorporated.  I would heartily recommend one of these.  I also
have a Michael Rath R1 which is the small bore, that I use for jazz and big
band work.  His large bore one's are brilliant and if you have the cash
(they are expensive) they are worth it.

Others to consider.

The Edwards, contact the Valve in London for more details, the getzen may be
a cheaper alternative. And soon to be introduced in the country is the
Stomvi, a spanish trom, in prototype.  I had a go on the prototype and I
think it will be very good.

One word of warning, from my bitter experience.  Make sure you are happy
with your mouthpiece first.  It may save you a lot of money in the long run.

Best of luck, email me off the list if you need any more help.

Cheers

Richard Walker (too many instruments, not enough bands)