French Horns in bands

When the North American Brass Band Association
was getting going there were a few bands who, largely due to
the unavailability of tenor horns used French Horns.
The problem is you cannot hear them (the bells face wrong way)
and the sound is wrong. That sweetness of tone the tenor horn has is absent.
A F***** Horn player ( most of whom get really offended if
you use the F***** word they like to be called just horn players)
usually says things after an orchestral concert like
" Thcaikovsky is OK but I really prefer playing in a woodwind quintet"
and actually mean it. In my opinion Tenor horn should be added to
orchestras not replaced in brass bands. At least the bells do not point to
the exit.
One of the few horn players I know who isn't a toffee nosed git plays
EEb in a brass band for enjoyment and Horn for money.

Graham Young
gyoung@xxxxxxxx
Symphony Hamilton
Weston Silver Band