4th Section problems

"I do not understand how an adjudicator can be expected to 'get it right'
with a section containing 32 bands and requiring him to be locked away from
11 am to 7:30 pm."

Steven

I agree that this issue needs to be looked at by the powers that be.

In the Midlands 29 bands were down to compete, and yes it must put a strain
on the poor chap (or lass) asked to judge.

The main problem IMO is that the top 3 and the bottom 3 bands should be easy
to sort out, but then the bands in the middle will sound very similar, and so
the final placing given could be anywhere in the pack.  This is very
important, when bands have to rely on this placing for promotion / relegation
(and the problem is not exclusive to the 4th section)

In the Midlands, there were 96 (I think) bands in all sections, and when you
take into account that the championship section has to contain "no more than
12 bands" you can see why there is crowding in the other section, resulting
in the problems I have outlined above with position, etc.

I have no solution to the problem, but a suggestion that in the 4th section
where there are more than 15 bands, that two contests are held with bands
being drawn for which contest they are expected to enter As there is no
relegation from the 4th section, only promotion then the currant grading
system could still apply, with the top two being promoted, etc.

While I am on the subject of promotion, just a quick observation about the
championship section.  Did you know that the rules state that a maximum of 12
bands can be in each area's top section, and if bands in the 1st section are
tied on the same points and are to be promoted then all bands on the same
points go up.

Therefore if 6 bands tie for the top of section 1 then 6 bands will go up and
6 bands will be relegated     your thoughts listees are awaited.

regards and best wishes to all

John Davis