Re: South York's Police disqualification upheld

Without knowing the full story, it is dangerous to comment, but I can't
believe I'm reading this after the myriad of similar debarcles over the past
few years.

If the band informed the contest controller in advance, I fail to see why
the situation could not have been resolved by obtaining the consent of the
other competing bands at the start of the contest. (Only if other bands
raised an objection would further action be necessary).

In any event, disqualification is an extreme sanction - appropriate if a top
section band were to compete in the fourth section, or if a band played the
wrong test-piece, or if one player played three different instruments, or if
none of the players were registered members. Surely it is wrong that a whole
band should be disqualified on the basis of one error (which, judging by the
proliferation of such instances in the past two years, is an all too common
one).

No doubt there are those who will argue that "Rules is rules", which I would
contest vehemently. The rules exist to promote fair competition, and should
be applied with that aim in mind. Adhering to the rules serves no purpose
if, by so doing, the spirit in which the rules were constructed is
contravened. The rules must be open to modification if they are found
wanting.

Cameron