A rose by any other name

There are other differences than the mouthpiece used, but the timbre of the
sound is initially generated at the mouthpiece end. The body of the
instrument then modifies the sound. It is usually much easier to modify the
initial sound with a cup shaped mouthpiece. Having said all this, I was
talking about the original state of things but if you examine modern
mouthpieces, you find that they are now a compromise between conical and
cup, giving a balance of brightness/penetration with sweetness. I rather
suspect that mouthpiece manufacturers have a conspiracy going to cut down
their costs but still charge more by combining the two basic shapes.