Re: "A Rose by any other name".

Hi Bill,

In a message dated Tue, 21 Mar 2000  4:00:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Bill Walker" <Walker@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> For instance, we "brass people" call my horn a baritone. Yet,  I have
> heard it better described as a tenor tuba.

Whoa - the Euphonium is the Tenor Tuba - the baritone
is a saxhorn, not a tuba.  Saxhorns are half cylindrical
and half conical, while tubas are 1/3 cylindrical and
2/3 conical.  The british baritone is referred to as
a tenor horn in Germany and some other european countries and there they refer to the Euphonium as a
"Baryton".  In the U.S. tenor horn would probably be
the best way to class the british baritone.

> The tenor horn sounds very little like the tenor trombone and has a different tonal range and is
> more accurately described as an alto horn.

It is reffered to as such in North America.

> In the un-enlightened days of my youth tenor trombone music was written
> in the tenor clef but now in North America it's written in the bass clef

Tenor, Alto and Bass clef are still used for trombone.
Tenor is found in some advanced wind band compositions,
where alto is only used in Orchestral parts.
You can read the treble clef parts like they are in
tenor clef by mentally adjusting the key signiature and
accidentals.  That's how I read the treble clef parts
as do most concert pitch readers.

> I have a trombone that I'd like to learn how to play also but I cannot
> find a tutor book in the treble clef in any of the several music stores

Use a trumpet or cornet book, then.  Also you can use
tenor clef materials - close enough...

> If so, where did we get the treble clef from?

Allows people to move from horn to horn without having
to re-learn fingurings.  Same thing applies to the
clarinet and saxaphone families.

John Fisher, barione, CVBB