Re: South York's Police disqualification upheld

Cameron wrote:
> The rules must be open to modification if they are found
>wanting.

Indeed, and every year we see the same discussion taking place when bands,
who by now should know the consequences of not following the rules, fail to
ensure they have followed the procedures required by those rules as they
stand at present.

But let me ask you all this: how many of you have written to your Regional
Committee, The NCC, Boosey & Hawkes, the band press etc? Rules don't change
themselves, people change rules!

The last time this came up, I came across just one person on this list who
took the trouble to write to Anne-Marie Sizer. So here we are again with the
same old problem, the same old unjustified complaints against regional
committees and the same lack of action by the movement to do something about
it!

And at the same time, we're hearing of the usual pre areas "rent a player"
movement of players who appear to have little allegiance to the bands they
leave behind - yet these guys all do so within the rules!

The whole concept of registration has always, imo, been flawed. It allows
bands to be disqualified for playing people who probably attend most
rehearsals but on the other hand, it allows "rent a mob" to move freely
around the movement with no regard for the people they replace and the bands
they leave behind. And in general, the movement seems to think it's a good
idea? As far as I'm concerned, registration of bandsmen/women can finish
tomorrow!

Andy Wooler
(waiting now for the usual " wooler's radical ideas will kill the movement"