Re: A rose by any other name.

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Judith Hayes wrote:

> Seems to me that the brass instruments in a British brass band fall into 4
> groups:
>
> 1. Cornets - i.e. sop and Bb (part parallel, part conical)
>
> 2.  Horns - i.e. flugel, tenor horn and baritone (conical and thin)
>
> 3. Tubas - i.e. euph, Eb bass and Bb bass (conical and fat. Hmm - sounds
> like
> the players!)
>
> 4. Trombones - i.e. primitive instruments with no buttons to push ;-)
> (parallel)

As I understood it, in a sort of simple way, there are three main
categories of tubing shape in common brass instruments. All instruments
are part cylindrical, part conical; it is simply that the proportions of
these tubing types vary.

Trumpets and Trombones are 2/3 cylindrical, 1/3 conical;
Cornets and Baritones (and Horns too, I think) and 1/2 and 1/2.
Flugels, Euphs, Tubas are 1/3 cylindrical, 2/3 conical.

The only true cylindrical instrument is the hosepipe!

Dave Taylor