Re: Buying an EEb Bass

Besson have always been a good option for a tuba.

I am studying performance BA Music on the Tuba and I use a Sov.  I have had
plateing problems and Tuning problems though since I have had it.

Yamaha have brought out a new 'maestro' Tuba, made in conjunction with James=

Gourlay.  I have played this and it s very good.  It is basically the same
specifications as the Sov but with a larger bell, more focus on intonation
and tone.

The brand new front valve design of the sovereign is very good.  I have
played this and prefered it to the one  above and the Sov.  It would not wor=
in a brass band situation.  It was designed on the basis of original
orchestral tubas.  Mostly F and C where the valves are at the front.  Its
sound is not ideal next to other sov tubas with the original design.

You can get a Sov for about =A33000 or less if you shop about.  Try Normans,=
 Mr
Tuba, Phil Parkers, Trevada, Band Supplies and Rosehill instruments.  Most o=
these you can go to the factory and choose your instrument, that way you wil=
not end up with a duff.  All the instruments have different playing
characteristics so if you don't go and choose one you are effectively playin=
Lucky dip and more often than not you will end up with a duff.

If you go for a secound hand sov.  try and get the old design without the
curved leadpipe,  these were made in Boosey's prime and the several I have
played have all been very good.

Good luck anyway

Jon