South Yorkshire Police Band disqualification

Just an update to the postings that my first email generated.

The press coverage of our disqualification was unexpected but with hindsight
predictable.
Front page Yorkshire Post, Sheffield Star, Britshbandsman ,Radio Sheffield
and Ceefax. Sadly I suspect the main reason that we got all the interest was
the word "police" in our title and not brass band.
(But anyway no publicity is bad publicity. I was annoyed that the young
players name got out (she's only 14 and had a rough time of it at school the
week after)..but then only me and the York's Area committee knew her
identify

SYP band raise their hand high and say "Yes we made a mistake" (actually it
was me). We were completely honest and brought it to the committees and band
reps attention.

Rules are rules. I agree but they need interpreting by humans. The rules
appear outdated anyway and the word MAY appears frequently i.e. MAY
discipline, MAY disqualify. It appears that MAY= WILL.

SYP band spent a lot of time and money in getting the band to the area and
the penalty seems so harsh. 2 months work thrown away for a simple error.
What are the scales of enforcement

The band are fully supportive of our decision to play and we appear to have
gone from strength to strength. I certainly haven't had the cold shoulder,
but there again I am 6'4" and 18 stone :-)

Just to confirm - we are appealing to the NCC and no I do not work in the
traffic dept :-)

and if all this sounds like sour grapes- you're absolutely right !

Simon Davies

ps what is Ann Marie Sizers address