Re: Hosaphone. No sense of humour? Skip it! You were warned.

Dave

The first reported public UK outing (as reported on the Hosaphone
Headquarters web site) ( http://www.roth-music.com/hosaphone/ ) was
allegedly at the bandroom of the Wantage Silver band in Oxfordshire in
1997, so there is already a hardcore of hosaphone supporters in the
UK.  Well, six anyway.

If you go to the hosaphone headquarters site (I have done since its
early days, as Mr Roth can indeed testify - URL above), watch out for
a wav file featuring the performance by Ellis W Workman (I think),
Joint Creator of the revered and mostly plastic hosaphone(tm).  Also
Music for Hospahone in C with Piano and Bass.  The illustrious list
will have no problems transposing on the fly to Bb, Eb or F depending
on their other instrument. (F - french horn dear peeps) (or Bass Trom
with 1st plug engaged) (or Euph with 4th Valve Down) (Yes I know you
know) (or..) <Shut up - ed> .

I found that a plastic funnel suffices for an admirable bell, filched
from my wife's kitchen, but one gets better resonance with a tin one
used for transferring petrol (gas) to the lawnmower.  Remember not to
smoke during a performance though and watch out when performing the
Hosaphone(tm) Swirl with a tin bell.  The audience could get hurt by
flying shrapnel, downgrading their perception of the performance
somewhat.  Remember to remove the gauze filter, it stifles the sound.
Also, ensure the soldering is up to the gigantic forces placed upon
the most crucial part (other than mouthpiece and hosepipe) of the
instrument.

Ive also found that using those hoselock<tm> connectors to fit
different lengths of tubing enables you to play with Eb Tenor Horns on
one occasion, Eb/F/F# (depending on how far youve stuffed your fist up
it) (oo-er missus) French Horns the next, Flugel if you must and even
to double as principal hosaphone(tm) when the going gets rough and the
rest of the band "legs it".  It does however increase the mass of the
instrument, so the aforementioned hosaphone(tm) swirl is a bit risky
to those remaining southwards of your undoubtedly well-earned
end-chair position.

A project I have slated for development is to construct a Bass
Hosaphone(tm) out of the cute concertina piping (4 inch <10cms> bore)
that connects tumble driers to the outside world. It offers the
opportunity to change the pitch of the instrument on the fly by
compressing or elongating its corrugations.  I'm a little concerned
about the requirements of the leadpipe however, so, Dave, your
suggestions (as always) are most gratefully received.  Also, I am
contemplating an upperbody bodybuilding course, culminating in blowing
up hot waterbottles through my nose, in order to support the column of
air that such an instrument would require for that "virtuoso"
performance, of the order that might be applauded by Mr. Sparke et al
during one of the more "exciting" passages of an erm "exciting"
contest piece.  But first, I must secure a licence from Mr. Roth to
manufacture a deviant (now we're talking! - ed) of his device outside
of the US.  A bit like coca-cola (also tm) I guess.

There!  On-topic posting and wasnt that more interesting that
rabbiting on about Contesting!  Again!  <oops, thats blown it (sic)
(tm)>

toodle-pip!

Steve
Principal Lower-Brass Hosaphone(tm) and Euphonium
Melbourne Town Band
http://www.mtb-brassband.com