Re: Buying an EEb Bass

I would suggest that you stick to Besson, Yamaha or Courtois.  Certainly the
Besson instruments are great (I own a BSP 981 and play it regularly) and
will probably blend better with other Besson instruments in your section.
I've no experience with the Yamaha but people who play them love them (I've
heard they're a better soloist instrument than an 'section' instrument if
that makes sense !).  I currently play a Courtois (by choice I may say) at
Fodens and love it.  The instruments DID have problems but these are now all
sorted.  Once you get used to playing an instrument that isn't tuned to the
'Besson' standard I think you would like it too.  It's easier to blow than a
Besson but not quite as 'dark' sounding and has a much more lively top end
(sounds like a car review now !).

If you want to buy 'used', stick with a Besson IMHO.

Drop me a line if you want any more info/thoughts on these two models.

Phil.
Fodens