Re: South Yorkshire Police Band disqualification

Whilst (on parole)  taking my morning saunter on the beach whistling
"Colonel Bogey" or "Punchinello" and mulling over the harsh decision of
"those who must be obeyed" to disqualify the SYB band for their obvious
misdeanour in playing a "ringer" of 14 years of age at some very important
contest....with all the resultant media  publicity and embarrassment for the
band movement of the U.K....after intensive rehearsals for two months.....it
came as a shock to realise that one day when giving the wrong hand signals
out of the window of my old banger I will...with fear...hear the dreaded "De
Dah...De Dah" of a jam butty car and be hauled out of my seat by a young
14- year-old wpc toting a truncheon,hosaphone, her gas weapon and a
cornet/tenor
horn/baritone.!!  As the years roll by (and policemen/women seem to get
younger and younger ) one recalls the  contest disasters with nostalgic
hilarity and hopefully one day members of the SYB band (and their young
player) will look back on that contest day as a "bit of a hoot".   By still
competing they...and the other bands ...demonstrated that playing music is
still more important than "the rules". !!     With apologies to all
musically inclined (brass ) members of the constabulary.	Brassed Off.
H.M.P. Strangeways.