Re: A rose by any other name

Mike L wrote...

>Judith, might you consider the fact that ranges are relative?
Interesting point.  In this particular thread, the original question was
relative to the human voice.

>When you speak of a tenor instrument, that doesn't necessarily mean that it
>is a tenor instrument relative to the band, (it frequently does, but not
>always), but only relative to a particular group of similar instruments.
Absolutely.  Or rather, relatively.

>If you want to draw really fine distinctions between the euph and baritone,
>you need to remember that they aren't in the same family group - the euph
is
>a tenor tuba, the baritone is a saxhorn.
Isn't that what I put?

>Relative to the euph, the baritone
>is an alto, if you consider the euph to be tenor.
No - don't agree here - I'd say the overlap is greater than that.

>You might stretch a point
>and compare them as heldentenor and lyric tenor, or as baritone,(euph) and
>tenor,(baritone),
Yes, that's more like it.  If I had done my bachelor's thesis on it, I might
have had the vocabulary to do so.

>but the tone of the euph definitely sets it as a tenor
>instrument - it is the cello of the band. The baritone is more like the
>viola - though baritone players generally have more life in them then viola
>players do, (hi, Sue Sudworth).
More cider, in our 2nd baritone player's case.

> Can you sing as low as a viola (8ve below
>middle c (concert pitch)?
Yes, after 8 pints and a Vindaloo - in fact I can sober!   Just tried it and
got to Bb below that.  Mind you, I wouldn't pay money to come and listen to
it!

>By the way, saxhorns were invented by Sax, the same who invented the
>saxophone.
Yes, I know.

>Are you going to tell me that a saxophone is a brass instrument?
Not likely!  Wouldn't dare.  Non sequitur anyway.  Unless it's made of
brass.....

>Was it the thought that you might be related to a cornet that upset you?
YES YES YES!!!  Although at least you spelt it right!

Thank you for your views.  Nothing is clear cut but please don't call me a
cornet!

Anyway, what is the difference between a saxhorn and a flugelhorn?  My book
won't be drawn on the matter.

Jud - a poor dimwitted engineer.