Re: Hosaphone. No sense of humour? Skip it! You were warned.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Larwood <larwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: David Williams <JDW@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Brass Band List <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 27 March 2000 20:37
Subject: Re: Hosaphone. No sense of humour? Skip it! You were warned.

>A project I have slated for development is to construct a Bass
>Hosaphone...

Further to my earlier posting about Philip Jones's pioneering example in
this area, I have now dug out my copy of 'The Odyssey of the Philip Jones
Brass Ensemble', and have now refreshed my memory.  The hosepipe quintet
which PJBE used to perform featured a bass hosepipe played by the late,
great John Fletcher.  The item was introduced by Ifor James, who used to
announce that the group had brought along "some very old instruments".
Meanwhile, Fletcher would be "...delving into a bag and handing out the
hosepipes, usually getting himself into a tangle as he coped with his own
sixteen feet".

And now the punchline, which will appeal to conservative bandsmen
everywhere:  the hosepipe concerto was written by PJBE's very own trumpet

Elgar Howarth!

Alec