Re: Hosaphone. No sense of humour? Skip it! You were warned.

> From: Steve Larwood <larwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> >A project I have slated for development is to construct a Bass
> >Hosaphone...

Last term, we constructed a set of hosaphones from soprano to 40-foot bass
for a 'memorable' performance of the William Tell Galop which, sadly,
never happened. We used road cones for the bells of the beasts (one from
each side for stereo dissolving of the audience's intestines). The
original intention of using the full 80 feet of mains water pipe as a
single instrument was abandoned when we discovered that it was impossible
to play loudly enough to balance the others (due to the narrowness of the
tubing before the bell). We made instruments of double the normal length
to take advantage of the extra harmonics in higher octaves.
Those wise enough to be able to multiply by 2 will notice that the
sub-contrabass instruments were in fact rather too long to be in Bb (our
chosen key). In fact, this didn't matter, as it was played so high in it's
compass that it was fully chromatic anyway!

Dave Taylor