Re: Buying an EEb Bass

Hilary Mateer wrote:

> Hello List
> As our band has just qualified for London and as I am in the fortunate
> position of having been made redundant and got another job straight
> away, I thought that I would treat myself and spend some of my
> redundancy money on an EEb Bass.
> My first thought was to look for a Sovereign but whether to get a 981 or
> 982 and whether to buy second hand, shop soiled or really shell out and
> buy a brand new one I can't decide.
> Or maybe there is another make that you would recommend.

Hi, Hilary.

IMHO if you can afford a Willson, (2829TA) go for one of those, they are a great
horn, and really well made. If you are not too worried about playing a
front-valve non-compensating horn, have a look at a Willson 3400TA "Marty
Erickson" model, I hear they are amazing. The Sovereign front action tuba is the
only model of Besson I would buy nowadays. I only play front action tubas now,
as they are far more free blowing than the "3 up, 1 down" design.

Cheers,
Adrian