Re: Concert items

Hi Carol and List

In preparation for the Narrabri Shire Band UK Tour we have been doing
a lot of audience testing of entertaining concert pieces. We have
found a few popular ensemble pieces and a few soloist pieces.

The most popular piece we have found is "Puttin' on the Ritz", a
new arrangement recently purchased from Muso's Media. Other very
popular pieces include:-

Circus Capers
New York New York
Variazioni in Blue
The Lincolnshire Poacher

The soloist pieces we have had popular reaction to are:-

Don't it Make My Brown Eyes Blue - Trumpet Solo
Solitaire - Trombone Solo
Morrison Melody (Garbles Oboe) - Flugel Horn Solo
He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother - Soprano Cornet Solo
The Lark in the Clear Air - Euphonium Solo

A popular duet we have found is "I Know Him So Well" for
two Bb Cornets. This also works as a vocal duet with band.

We use a vocalist quite often and two popular pieces are:-

I Dreamed a Dream (from Les Miserables)
I Still Call Australia Home

In spite of the number of unpopular items we have all seen
listed we have actually had trouble cutting down our list of
popular items into concert programs of reasonable length. There
is a lot of great popular music out there.

Regards

Richard Luckhurst
Narrabri Shire Band - BBb Bass