Re: Conducting...Is Easy ?

Nice story David unfortunately must disagree in out case about the
comment about principle cornets and conducting!
We were lucky enough at Jackfield Elcock Reisen (1st section Midlands
area) to have wonderful principle cornet player, technically brilliant
and could play a slow melody as good as anyone I have heard. He was
even head hunted by Faireys to play on the front row and declined! We
had a big problem trying to find a M.D about three years ago, we had a
lot a conductors down to band who were simply not good enough and
things were starting to get worrying. Chris (principle cornet) had said
he would do it but we generally avoided it until it came to the point
when we needed someone in and fast.
Chris is now our conductor and couldn't be doing a better job. His
talents and musicality as a cornet player shine through as MD and you
can not miss a beat! which for some of our players is essential!!
Another bonus is that it paved the way for one young upstart to take up
the principle cornet seat!
I guess we were just lucky!! I am just glad that we didn't get one of
those ex soloist soon to be ex conductors like you mentioned!
Great story, there is a severe lack of anything interesting on this
forum.
Regards
James Pearson (Jackfield Elcock Reisen Band)