ISB (was top trombone)

There's a big difference between playing "Onward
>Christian Soldiers" and "Year of the Dragon". Get real!
>
>MF

I can only assume that it has been a while since you have heard the ISB, or
any of the top SA bands in England. Individual players or sections aside,
the standard is a little bit better than struggling through a hymn tune.

You only need to look at the ISB's recent CD's, including live recordings,
to see two championship section test pieces (Redhead's 'Isaiah 40',
Norbury's 'Odyssey' - National and European).

As for SA repertoire in general, I think the YBS CD's (Essays for Brass 1 &
2) clearly show the calibre of the music for what it is.

As for individual players, I can't think of many championship section bands
that wouldn't want to have a guy like David Daws as their top man. To bad he
wastes his time on all those darn hymn tunes and religious services!:)

Hopefully there are a few threads here to interest some different people
(i.e. ISB, "outside" bands and SA repertoire, David Daws)

Craig Lewis
A Canadian SA Bandsman (I bet you never would have guessed that!)