RE: Trombone question

Hi,

In my experience (I've had three large bore bones - one selmer, one bach,
and one courtois, and a medium bore valve trom, and a small bore starter
bone)  I think that the bore makes very little difference to the tone - I
think that it is all down to how much air you can put through it (e.g. for
someone with smaller lungs a smaller bore would be appropriate) - for
example, my Courtois (Bb-F Hagmann Valve) takes quite a bit of air, and my
Selmer (Bb-F) takes quite a lot too (The Stradavarius took so much air I had
to exchange it for my present Courtois)  and the Valve trom took a lot less
to get it to the same volume as the other three.  As for the starter bone, I
picked it up a year ago (approx.) and I almost blew it straight...  But my
tone changed only slightly (apart from the starter trom but that was because
the mouthpiece I play on is a 4 and the one that fitted it was a 6.5)  I
think that what you mean is the projection of the sound, but I doubt that
the bore has anything to do with it - from what I've seen, the bell on
smaller bore trombones is (in general) a lot smaller, providing a much more
focused and direct sound, where with larger bells the sound will fill a
large room with an equal sound, with only a small amount of space where the
sound will be louder.  Also, the colour of the bell makes a difference - On
a rose bell (on my Courtois) I find it extremely difficult to hit the lower
notes on anything other that a 1.5, but on my Selmer (which I wouldn't trade
for the world) plays contrapedal F (concert pitch) a treat (and it's a tenor
trom).  Also, I have played a silver bell Courtois (straight tenor) and it
played the high end with great precision and a very 'strong and punchy'
sound, but it couldn't play lower end.  As I said though, this is only my
experience, so it's based on opinion, but I hope it is of interest...

I'd just like to add that this is my first posting, but I have been lurking
under the woodwork looking at and thinking about the comments that come
through this list (I've been here for almost 4 months now).

Mike Larwood,
Solo Trombone, Melbourne Town Band:  http://www.mtb-brassband.com
Second Trombone, Youth Brass 2000:  http://www.youthbrass2000.com