Re: Tenor Horn mouthpieces

I play on a Sovereign 900 with a Besson 7. This gives me a somewhat brighter
tone quality than I care for, but the high register is quite accessible(to C
or E above the staff (depending on if it is a good day) without undue strain
and I blend more on sectional passages with the 1st and 2nd horns who are
playing on adapters with F Horn mouthpeices(UGH!) Just keep in mind that the
combination of instrument and mouthpiece you use is not only a matter of
personal preference and comfort, but of conformity and acceptance of your
sound. In listening to various recordings, it would seem that most bands
prefer a darker, richer tone quality while some are decidedly brighter. Your
decision concerning mouthpeices should be based on the tone quality of your
band.
Clint Miller
Solo Tenor
Rocky Mountain Brass Band