Philip Jones

As a part of the final concert at the McMaster Low Brass Workshops in
Hamilton. April28/29, The Hamilton Symphonic Brass will be featured in a
"Tribute to Philip Jones". We will be playing some of the arrangements
used by Jones and also some new arrangemnets done for the same
instrumentation.

In planning this I began to wonder why Philip Jones had settled on the
rather unusual combination of instruments: 4 trumpets, 4 trombones, 1
horn and 1 tuba. Clearly it worked but it is not the balance which comes
immediately to mind when thinking of a brass group.

Does anyone have any insight into the background which resulted in the
combination? I certainly would appreciate any help I can get.

Dave Buckley.