Re: The Future for Bands

Thank you Chris for the kind invitation...a July hol.in Cornwall sounds
fine....but your young players would put me to shame !   Of course, I
realise that some bands are extremely busy; it is just my general feeling
that it is becoming difficult for bands to get engagements or too expensive
to promote them themselves.   Being from a seaside area and another era when
a week in the summer would entail about six concerts on the bandstand...and
many carnivals, fetes,parades.....there was no time for contests (maybe
one).   In rival resorts bands would play every summer evening...(twice on
Sundays).....But not any more.   Brass and military bands were featured
regularly on radio programmes like "music while you work".    Some years ago
a number of military bands were killed off.    In past years Granada T.V.
sponsored a Band of the Year competition, and BBC TV had a regular Champion
Band programme each week.   Now broadcasters virtually ignore bands ...and
it is quite an event to hear a band track played on a popular programme.
Although, to be fair ,a few weeks' ago I heard Black Dyke play one very nice
item on a Sunday BBC radio programme.....but it had been produced by the
Beeb !    Locally concerts by top bands appear to have finished...because
they did'nt pay, and combined choir/band concerts seem to be required to get
a decent audience.     A few weeks' ago I believe some American brass
musicians from a London show called "Blast" appeared on the ITV  Conley Show
and I am told they were a sensation.    At least many folk asked me I had
seen them....because they thought they were great.     Maybe it might give
us some food for thought.    I hope, too, that some of our friends from the
SA bands will enlighten us on the secrets of their success,  as suggested by
Peter Younghusband...our very respected lister in Australia !    With best
wishes.  David.  (Actually....sorting out music for a "concert" tomorrow and
planning to "show off" new flugel (made in Taiwan !!!!)