Re: The Future for Bands

I think that it is you who missed the point, as you are seemingly unable to
grasp the concept of commitment to a higher cause.  I believe that that is
the point Barb was trying to make.  Not that God gives Salvation Army
players more ability than non-Salvation Army players, but rather we as S.A
musicians strive to be the best for our Lord instead of for the judges.

Ironically, whatever He hears, as long as it is to the best of our ability,
is pleasing and will gain top marks, if you would.  I think that I'd rather
play for Him than for judges who may comment that the flugel part came
through too strongly (Like that's ever happened :-).

The reason that we practise is to be as good as we can be, like secular
bands.  The reason that we are as good as we are (not tooting own horn,
rather varying degrees of "good" is implied) is because we practise, like
secular bands.  The reason that we want to be as good as we can be is to be
pleasing to the ear, like secular bands.  The reason that we play is partly
because we love brass banding.   The difference is in who we play for.

Unfortunate that you deem this a load of carp (that is what you meant
right?), since it truly is the reason that we play.

Ian Cooper
1st trombone
Ontario South Divisional Youth Band
Salvation Army Simcoe Community Church Band
Bass Trombone
Jarvis Brass Ensemble (alright it's only me, but...)