Re: The Future for Bands

Many thanks Peter and to all others for some interesting comments on the
relationship between SA bands and the banding movement in
general....maintaining standards without contesting, etc...which has always
intrigued me.   Bob Childs, in particular, took the trouble to mail me some
very interesting observations.....and with his permission I would like to
forward them to the list.    Rightly or wrongly...I still feel bands are
losing in the popularity stakes in general....although, of course some are
very busy indeed despite the obvious problems in the huge costs in promoting
concerts these days.    Surely there are some bright sparks out there with
some suggestions to "wake up" broadcasters to the fact that the U.K. has
some of the best bands (including SA and military) in the world....and the
general public would like to hear them !    Personally, I still think local
bands...from any sections...could do a bit more to involve themselves in
their communities to their own benefit.   Thanks also to Gerry Whitlow for
the "gen" (when he touched down) on the "Blast" item on the TV
show.....maybe we should all take up the sousaphone !    So...stop "lurking"
and make good use of Nigel's valuable facility!    Cheers.   Dave.