Re: The Future for Bands

Sorry to disagree. When the 'soul' of the player is in the music that she or he
is playing it is a much different type of music that is produced.
Salvation Army musicians play not for themselves but to the glory of God and as
such are puting their soul into their music.
You will have observed that people who have listened to a Salvation Army band,
and I mean a good band, the calibre of ISB, Enfield, Hendon Salvation Army,
Croydon etc. (in England) will play a piece much better or perhaps quite a bit
different than an 'outside' band, a term Salvation Army players quite often use
which again is another subject.
In any event it has to do with many aspects of music, the words for example,
help with the phrasing of the music, the dynamics of the music.
Again, most S A bands play S A music as well, and in almost all instances S A
music also has a melody.
Practice, I am afraid does not make one perfect, (in playing) however, perfect
practice makes for perfect or close to it, playing.
Again, S A bands are always reading something new. I never fail to go to a
weekly band practise and not see something new that quite often we will be
playing the following Sunday or a practise or two after.
We are just an average church (Corps) band, but we do have some excellent
'corner' players who carry the ball for the band.
I can not comment on the contesting bands other than what I have been able to
hear on CD, LP's etc. but I know when we heard the ISB last spring in Portland
Or, USA, they blew the socks off the people who were there. This was after a two
week non stop tour as well. None of their players are professionals.
It is all down to the committment and the reason we all play.
Not for our own glory, nor the bandmaster's glory, nor the end chair's glory.
It is to the Glory of God, whom we love and serve.
Sorry for the ramble but those are my thoughts in a very humble fashion.
Larry White
Cariboo Hill Temple Band
Vancouver BC
Canada