Re: Blast

I for one was very sceptical about what was going to be presented before me
when I was given an opportunity of seeing the show Blast!

Everything I read about it was hyped and sensational, and the outline of
what actually happens on stage (choreography mixed with brass, percussion
and 'twirlers' - apologies for lack of proper title!) did nothing to
convince me that I would actually HEAR anything worthwhile - I resolved
myself to the idea that it'd all look most impressive but the music would
leave a lot to be desired.

How very, very wrong I was!  The opening of the show was Bolero - very
dramatic with a lone drummer, spotlit centre stage, then as the music
expanded so too did the cast - and the brass playing was a pleasure to
listen to.  In fact the whole show provided food for thought - how on earth
can they sound that good and look that good .... and they certainly weren't
miming - I was sitting close enough to hear the sounds coming direct from
the instruments without the resonance of the microphone assistance!

The show also involved a wide range of music and styles, percussion features
(a sample of which was seen on a recent episode of TFI Friday), impressive
twirlers and a myriad of colours and visually impacting choreographic
effects.  The theme to the show was loosely based around colours - the
twirlers provided the visual colours and the selected music provided the
atmospheric colours.

There were also numerous solo spots, one most memorable for me was when a
flugel player was lowered down from above the stage on what constituted a
trapeze swing, whilst playing a beautifully controlled solo (the name of
which escapes me) - had he been standing still with music in front of him I
would have been impressed with his sound and ability, but to add the
choreography and glitz to the performance made it all the more impressive.
At one stage there was also a trombonist on a unicycle, whizzing around the
theatre whilst effectively using a wow-wow mute to the 'circus' style music
being performed.  My descriptions may not be doing much to convince people
that it is a sight and sound to behold - but whatever my reviewing
techniques lack, you must believe me when I say that seeing the show should
be made obligatory for every brass and percussion musician!!

After having an opportunity to chat with the cast (a nice touch to the end
of the show was that the cast all end up in the foyer, so you can approach
them and talk if you wish when you're leaving the theatre), I then left the
Hammersmith Apollo feeling that my own brass playing with the comforts of a
chair, a music stand, printed music, a conductor I can see and generally a
stationery playing position (unless we go really wild and stand up for a
featured section!) were less than even a basic warm-up for these men and
women.

Some purists may feel it was cheapening the whole idea of music and dance,
but I simply cannot agree when the whole performance provided variety, both
in musical style and presentation, outstanding musical ability (I can't
think of one band that would forego the opportunity to sign up even just one
of the cast!), and a means to bring brass music into the public eye.  The
one shame about the whole show is that it is soon to close (it was only here
for a limited run), and it is only now getting the publicity coverage and
promotion it so deserves.

If you haven't seen the show yet - take an opportunity to be enlightened
.... it will be an education if nothing else.

CLAIR TOMALIN
Alias Queen Wuss!
Email: c.roberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
OR
Email: queen.wuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Website: http://www.justselect.co.uk/wussbrass2000

PS: My enthusiasm for the show has nothing whatsoever to do with the fit
male bodies that were almost within reaching distance from my theatre
seat!!! :-)