And the award for the note most unlikely to be sustained...

...in the entire brass band repertoire goes to the ff paused pedal F
breve in the Bass Trombone part at the end of Paganini
Variations. Honestly, what does Philip Wilby think we are; physically
fit? Those double breve low Cs before it are pretty optimistic too at
that dynamic. We played through this last night at Rolls-Royce and I
almost fell off my chair at the end.

			       ..

(I expect that that won't come out at on anyone's machines at all)

Dave Taylor