Haslemere Suite

Spending the last month or so rehearsing this piece for the Regionals
gave me the very strong feeling of de-ja vu in the final section,
Charter Fair.
It reminded me of a very well known piece of classical music, but I
could not pin it down and nobody else in the band could help.
All was revealed yesterday when listening to Classic fm in the car.  I
was jolted awake by the first piece after the 10 a.m. news when an
orchestra blasted out the final movement of the Haslemere Suite.
The piece in question turned out to be Dance of the Comedians from The
Bartered Bride by Smetena.  Charter Fair seems to have been lifted
pretty well entirely from the Smetena dance.
I would be very surprised if I were the first person to notice this, but
in all the pre-regionals discussion of this piece I do not recall it
being mentioned.  There appears to be no acknowledgement of Smetena in
the score or in the regionals CD programme notes.
I do not know what others feel, but it surprises me as this was a
specially commissioned piece.
May be this is all old news, but I would be interested in the views of
others.

Harry Ibbotson
Tadley Concert Brass