Re: Mellophones

on 17/4/00 11:47 pm, Bill Walker at Walker@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Now there's another instrument that has me interested too, it looks like
> a contrabass saxophone but actually uses a baritone type mouthpiece.
> It was being played in an Eastern European Band.

I think you may be referring to an Ophicleide. Here are a couple of links:

http://www.contrabass.com/pages/ophicleide.html

http://www.neillins.com/ophiclei.htm

I saw some used in anger last summer (on TV) by, I think,  the BBC Symphony
Orchestra.

There is a regular poster to one of the horn mailinglists who goes by the
name of Prof. Cabbage.

I understand his performances are very entertaining and I hope he comes to
England sometime soon.

He is sometimes moved to poetry and wrote the following about the
Ophicleide:

----
I recently noticed that various people chose to debase the
intellectual level of the hornlist by discussing farting.

Not only was I appalled and disgusted, but I was extremely anxious to
contribute.

Then appeared a closely related musical topic, the
Ophicleide.  So I offer a brief history of this instrument.

     THE OPHICLEIDE

The Ophicleide, like mortal sin,
     Was fostered by the serpent.
Its pitch was vague; its tone was din;