Brass Band/Player Training Programmes

If this is received then I must assume that I am no longer a lurker !!!

As MD of a youth band (slightly different to your circumstances Peter
having a Championship section band) having taken over the reigns approx.
10 years ago with 15 players and morale at rock bottom.We have built up
to having 35 players in senior band
a further 20 in intermediate band and a beginners class of 6 or there
abouts.
To achieve this required imho the following,
1. The team of instructors to carry out the task.------------This is the
MD's task to build.
2. A committee to support and back the instructors.(which with a youth
band changes on an annual basis).
3. The band must want to be successful.
----------Both the committee and the band will be committed if the
atmosphere is right and that must be the first priority to put the
spirit into the band.This I believe should start with the social side of
the band. Make banding enjoyable, if you can build from a point where
players and committee want to be part of the team then the music will
improve from that point onwards and players will want to join you.It is
essential that all groups are provided with challenges wether it be the
contest or 20 min spot at a senior band concert for the intermediate
band, the latter provides the link between sections of the same
organisation . Another important link is to use senior band players as
instructors and also allow intermediate band members to sit in for a
blow with senior band making them welcome and thus feel as if they want
to progress to the senior band.
Interest socially and musically must be maintained by
workshops,tours,socials build up the spirit in any way you can.
Touch wood it is so far working for us ! But it does to take a lot of
hard work from every body but it is worthwhile.