bands attitude to contests

With the Aust nationals now over I wonder if the competing bands
realised that with the choice of Endeavor (Sparke) as the A grade test
that this was the opportunity for even the least technical of the bands
to have an opportunity of perhaps winning for the first time ,or at
least giving the big names a run for their money.Maximum points in the
Hymn,on stage March and test would have assured most bands of a very
good mark but this did not appear to have happened.I M H O if the bands
could not have been at near the top in these three sections then perhaps
some thought be given to contesting a lower grade . We in Aus seem to be
top heavy in A grade contenders in state (maybe one here in N S W in B
grade) and at Nat. level.

This e-mail is not intended to cast scorn on any bands as we are all in
the same boat regards personnel and lack of finance butat least lets
have some sensible discussion on how bands can improve in this" oh! so
important" area of contesting

Ron Grice
Newcastle N S W