European Contest

Just back from Birmingham. Had to wait 'til I got home to find out the
result, from the Brass band World site, because of the odd decision to
announce the results during the concert and not at the end of the contest.
Thought YBS played, over all, well enough to justify winning, Fodens were let
down by their performance of the set test, which, on their own admission, was
not up to their recent very high standard. Bit surprised at the lowly place
for Willebroek who gave 2 very enjoyable performances. I didn't think that
the set test really stretched the bands or separated the best from the rest.
The performance that really stood out for me (and most others that I spoke
to) was Eikanger's 'Concerto Grosso' by Bourgeois. Simply stunning. A very
weighty work to master featuring virtually everybody. The virtuousity around
the band was staggering. If that performance had been given the points
difference it deserved, IMHO, the result might have been different.
One last thought concerns the atmosphere generated in the hall. The Belgian
supporters started it by cheering and waving the flags when their band, drawn
2, came on. It was a little off putting at first (thou shall not applaud a
band as they take the stage and all that) but it became quite intoxicating
and added to the day, different flags waving as each band came on stage,
various national costumes being worn around the hall (not forgetting De
Waldsang's dapper stage outfits). Very different atmosphere to the Open...and
why not?

Off to bed, Buxton Contest in the morning.

Martyn Pattinson
Bedrock Brass