Sound

What's a cornet supposed to sound like?  I've started using a shallower
mouthpiece for marching or jobs where there aren't many solo cornets - to
try and get a louder, more penetrating sound for the melody (Bach 1 1/2 C).
 But I revert to a much deeper cup (Dennis Wick D) for solos with piano or
test type music for a darker, mellower sound.  Most of the Aussie players I
know tend to use shallower cups than their UK counterparts.

Is a cornet supposed to sound dark and mysterious like a Flugel or bright
and perky like a Soprano?

Volume.