European

Having had a day to recover, I can now write re Saturday's contest.  I
managed to hear all the band but one in the morning and then the same in the
afternoon.  I also stayed for the concert and results which were announced
at about 10:30!

I'm not clever enough to predict exact placings but I was extremely pleased
with myself in that I did identify the top five bands if not the actual
placings.  My untrained ear had Eikanger-Bjorsvik  (Norway) in first place
in front of YBS especially after YBS knocked over the tam-tam and symphony
hall amplification equipment during their performance of A Dove Descending -
additional sounds not located in the score.  And who was responsible for
bringng the spare batteries for the CD player to provide the birdsong?
YBS's performance of Tallis Variations was, I think, the most complete but
Concert Grosso from E-B was excellent.

The timing of the results announcements is a difficult one.  It was late and
there were some very impatient (or dare I say rude) people in the audience.
I don't think that heckling the sponsers is the way forward and some of our
foreign guests seemed a little perplexed at this small minority.  However,
had the results been announed earlier, would sufficient people have been
interested enough to stay for the concert? I'm glad I don't have to make
these kind of decisions as I don't know the answer.

My view - a thoroughly enjoyable day and  excellent facilities and a
magnificent arena to play in.

Keith