1958 British Open

Many thanks to Les and Kenneth for the gen. regarding the rather unusual
1958 Open at Belle Vue, which has intrigued me for many years. The bandsman
who told me about it is Dick Stevens, who was Carlton Main & Frickley's sop.
player for many years, and also played for a short time with Grimethorpe and
Markham Colliery I believe.   Dick is about 90 now, and was still playing
into his 80s !   I am sure he said two bands played again to decide the
winner.  Still baffles me these days how a major contest is decided by
one...even half a point.   When I first went to Belle Vue after the last war
Fairey Aviation were dominating the event...with Harry Mortimer.   I can
still hear them playing "Pride of Race"....( all flipping movements.)...but
I can't remember what I did yesterday !!   Those were the days....when all
members of a band worked for the companies.....and the prinicipal players
kept their chairs (and loyalities) for years.   Even in those days you could
tell which band was playing by the particular tones.....the solo cornet of
Bickershaw Colliery, for instance had a very marked vibrato.....and the
King's Hall would be packed to hear Black Dyke.   All the bands arrived in
uniform and kept them on throughout the great day which I seem to recall
ended with a band playing in the middle of a lake and a wonderful firework
display .   Then we would go on the coach home groaning with stomach pains
after eating fruit we had never seen before (due to the war years) from the
barrow boys.  Some older members (who had maybe been drinking) would be left
behind....to find their own way home.   It is very sad that many of those
famous bands are now no more.   Cheers.  David.