Re: Sound

-----Original Message-----

>What's a cornet supposed to sound like?

Jim Shepherd circa 1970!

I've always found the Bach cornet mouthpieces too trumpety for traditional
band playing (but good in a symphony orchestra). Before swapping primarily
to the trumpet I used a good old Besson 5 (now obsolete), but that felt very
small after using a symphonic trumpet mouthpiece.
I never got on well with the Wicks (no flaming please, I realise most
players love them and sound fine on them!). After many years of
experimenting I found the ideal solution in a Yamaha 16E cornet mouthpiece
(a copy of a very old fashioned design) with a modern trumpet style rim put
on it (by Yamaha in Germany). It gives me the traditional sound I had been
carrying around in my head since the 1970s but was unable to reproduce on
any of the current production models.

Just as soon as my lathe skills are up to it I intend to make copies of it.
Watch this space!

Andy.

http://freespace.virgin.net/andy.callard/index.htm