RE: European

"Keith Rowland" <kprowland@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:-

My untrained ear had Eikanger-Bjorsvik  (Norway) in first place
in front of YBS especially after YBS knocked over the tam-tam and symphony
hall amplification equipment during their performance of A Dove Descending -
additional sounds not located in the score.  And who was responsible for
bringng the spare batteries for the CD player to provide the birdsong?
YBS's performance of Tallis Variations was, I think, the most complete but
Concert Grosso from E-B was excellent.

I agree that Eikanger did really well with both pieces they had to play -
the Concerto Gross was simply stunning though!

Pleased too that Whitburn figured so highly in the placings (but I'm a
biased Scot so would say that wouldn't I?).

As for YBS mis-haps - they are VERY LUCKY indeed that the tam-tam etc. fell
over in a loud passage of D/D and IMO luckier still that this happened so
early on and the that the percussionist responsible had a suitable
opportunity to remedy the situation before the final section of Dove
Descending (what on earth would DK et al. there have done if he hadn't I
wonder?).  As for no birdsong - yes I was right wasn't I? (thought so).  The
tale about missing batteries sounds both intriguing & incredible (if true!)
though - I had until now presumed that the near catastrophe with the tam-tam
was the sole reason no birdsong was played i.e. simply nobody available in
the perc. section to control the CD player!

As for Tallis Variations - a very listenable piece for this level of contest
(far more so than many others I've heard in recent years) but not memorable
I'm afraid.  Do hope it will be used again though (as no doubt so will Mr
Sparke).

And so onto the evening concert.  NYBBGB in fine form as usual - surprised
David Childs still participating (must be his swansong as he is, I believe
19 this month!) yet not featured as a soloist at all.  Did enjoy Stephen
Mead's contribution though - esp. the party piece encores - very
entertaining indeed!

YBS premiered two new pieces - one by Philip Harper "The Winds of Change"
and the other by Peter Graham "Window on the World".  The former not to my
taste at all and in my view could well have been dispenses with given the
length of day/programme already to have been fitted in at Symphony Hall.
The latter much in a similar format to "Cry of the Celts" but with a
latin-american flavour rather than an irish one.  Worked extremely well
though some of the solo passages a bit on the short side to bother having
the player stand up to play them, and why no section with Margie Antrobus
playing BARITONE on her own eh?

Will look forward to the commemorative CD for the Euros weekend when Doyen
release it and would certainly recommend others (who missed the event for
real) buy/borrow it to hear what they've missed - a thoroughly good day
out!!

Regards to all on the list.

A.T.

The timing of the results announcements is a difficult one.  It was late and
there were some very impatient (or dare I say rude) people in the audience.
I don't think that heckling the sponsers is the way forward and some of our
foreign guests seemed a little perplexed at this small minority.  However,
had the results been announed earlier, would sufficient people have been
interested enough to stay for the concert? I'm glad I don't have to make
these kind of decisions as I don't know the answer.

My view - a thoroughly enjoyable day and  excellent facilities and a
magnificent arena to play in.

Keith

--

unsub brass-band