Engagements v Contests

I'm puzzled.  In criticicising bands for preferring to contest ..rather then
accept an engagement I expected an avalanche of abuse....not silence.  Is
everyone on holiday ?   Nigel provides us with this platform for
opinions...at his expense...he gains nothing !   As he says: "if you have
something to say...say it "!   I am surprised he has'nt given me "the
chop"...remember robot conductors...electronic valves...computer
adjudicators....critical rotweilers...and so on ?  On the serious side, the
health benefits of playing (a feeling of well-being and possible improvement
for asthmatics) an attempt to encourage older ex-players, etc.   However,
after over half a century's interest in bands, I cannot help feeling some
mis-givings.   IMO there is still more pleasure in entertaining people than
a day at a contest.   O.K...from experience I know you have some in a band
that just want to go to contests.   But I have seen such over-enthusiasm
destroy a band.
I doubt whether the millions poured into bands from lottery grants...just
for capital items....instruments, bandrooms or the like are really
adviseable.   I have been astonished to read of a band...seemingly with lots
of instruments (at a contest) being awarded cash for a new set...when
probably some even own their own good instruments ! But a struggling village
band with a battered set get nothing.....or even one of the top bands cannot
get assistance.    There is no provision for sponsoring new music, or
assistance in some kind for young musicians leaving a college of music after
studying brass playing....with ideas for giving them experience in
conducting etc.    Looking to the future is it possible that the "elite"
bands will mainly consist of young players from colleges ?    At this point,
I must admit that, for me at least one of the most amazing aspects of bands
was to go to a concert and listen open-mouthed to a brilliant performance
from players who had probably earlier in the day worked a shift down a
mine..or on their factory floor.   Rightly, or wrongly, I still think that
bands that have received assistance from lottery grants (which mainly come
from the  hard-earned pounds of workers of the U.K.) should be prepared to
give something to society in return .   For instance, not expect a hospital
to pay you hundreds to play at their annual garden fete !   Only if bands
are prepared to "give a bit more" will they gain popularity once again.   I
know (from private e.mails) there ARE exceptions.  I suppose I look forward
to a Utopia when crowds  will once again flock to the local park on a lovely
summer's afternoon to hear their local brass band playing  the strains of
Strauss, Rossini, Gilbert and Sullivan.  I think it could happen. Maybe !
BUT...one last thought...if you are spending more time rehearsing some
boring test piece than enjoying practicing some popular concert
items......look out !