Re: Engagements v Contests

We are a non contesting band but we just participated in a local
entertainments contest.

We played pieces from our normal concert program together with the test
piece. We were the only band that had the whole audience particpating
(including the competition) by singing and clapping and were the only band
that actually were asked by the audience for an encore.

We never expected to win as we were competing against very a good 1st
section band. However we very dissapointed that the adjudicator felt we were
to "up beat" and that our program was not varied enough. We played last and
last year's winning band followed us with concert selection to fill the
space before the results. Their conductor immediatley announced to the
audience "how do you follow that?"

We were content to know that we were the only band that woke some of the
audience up and left everyone smiling.

p.s we probably committed sacrilege by adding vocals to the test piece.