Re: Engagements v Contests

David Williams wrote:

> I'm puzzled.  In criticicising bands for preferring to contest ..rather then
> accept an engagement I expected an avalanche of abuse....not silence.  Is
> everyone on holiday ?

Actually, yes, I've been abroad with The Harrogate Band!  A great
trip!   But I suspect that the silence is more to do with the fact
that this subject has been well covered on the list in the last year
or two - see the archived discussions for more info.

> However,
> after over half a century's interest in bands, I cannot help feeling some
> mis-givings.   IMO there is still more pleasure in entertaining people than
> a day at a contest.   O.K...from experience I know you have some in a band
> that just want to go to contests.   But I have seen such over-enthusiasm
> destroy a band.

I don't think that contests and entertainment are mutually exclusive
and I agree that entertaining people is important, but I'd sooner
play a balanced programme to a full hall than play tittle-tattle in
the middle of a windy field to people who aren't really listening.

> I doubt whether the millions poured into bands from lottery grants...just
> for capital items....instruments, bandrooms or the like are really
> adviseable.   I have been astonished to read of a band...seemingly with lots
> of instruments (at a contest) being awarded cash for a new set...when
> probably some even own their own good instruments ! But a struggling village
> band with a battered set get nothing.....or even one of the top bands cannot
> get assistance.

Any band can apply for a Lottery grant...

> There is no provision for sponsoring new music

...and the Arts Council are very keen to give awards to bands who
demonstrate a commitment to new repertoire.

> BUT...one last thought...if you are spending more time rehearsing some
> boring test piece than enjoying practicing some popular concert
> items......look out !

and persuade your conductor to pick test pieces which are not so
boring.

David