Re: Engagements v Contests

I would like to comment from across the Atlantic.
I grew up in the UK, played with NYBB and several local bands in SE London.
I remember in the 50s summer was always full of concerts in parks that were
very well attended. I went on to become a professional player with London
orchestras and the RSC in Stratford-upon-Avon but continued playing when I
could with Bretforton, Shipston, Hailsham and Eastbourne bands, again lots
of outside jobs. I came to the USA in 1979 and my association with the UK
banding scene ceased. After 18 years here I started a band and in two years
we have grown tremendously, we won the NABBA Challenge Section after only 6
months together! ?Here is my point, from the very start the main purpose of
the band has been to serve the community. We play monthly concerts
September-May and then in June/July we REALLY work hard. Every weekend we
play a different program on bandstands around the area, often repeating the
program twice at different locations. The crowds show up regardless of the
weather, last Sunday we played in a thunderstorm and folks continued to
listen under umbrellas.
This audience at the parks contribute money to the band, many of them attend
our autumn/winter concerts but, most importantly, they ENJOY listening to
the band and return week after week. Any band that looses it's audience does
so by playing 'above' them. Look at the fading audiences for symphony
orchestras, Mahler empties the hall and Pops fill it!
Most of us are not fond of playing 'Floral Dance' and 'Star Wars' often and
would rather play Heaton, Gregson and Vinter In St. Louis we put our
audience first and contesting last..

Robin Weatherall
Manager,
Saint Louis Brass Band