Re: Engagements v Contests

Well said Robin.
Firstly I should admit that I do not play BUT I support and promote the
activity of my local band.
They provide what the education service is unable to do , namely -free
musical tuition. In addition there is a focus for village activity even for
non-musical parents and supporters.
Is a real band an integral  part of the community  or simply a self-interest
group of selfish extraverts!!!! ?
Have brassroot 4th Section bands more to be proud of than the hire and fire,
skill-filled Championship bands?
Mr David (Guru) Williams has tried to wind some of you up but my heartfelt
exaggeration might help some of you to speak out and  'claim the moral
high-ground'.
Without you and your efforts many youngsters would never have got started in
music and, for what it's worth, many 'top' players would missing from the
'top' bands.
I personally thank an enthusiastic 79 year old for giving my son what I was
unable to provide.
Maybe some bandsmen should consider simple basic questions such as :-
------What is a Band?
------Why have bands?
Chris B- a St Keverne parent and willing worker
-----afterthought ----. Which Uni. will be the first to offer David Williams
a post of lecturer in Brass Ethics?