Re: Engagements v Contests

Hi Chris. I have just read your contribution.  How UNCANNY ...how did you
know we had started playing Hindu brass music ?  I must tell you something
VERY interesting though.   There is no need for bands to apply to the
lottery men.  Last month I fancied a new flugel made in Taiwan and I rang up
a nice chap with a Surrey firm.  Told him what I wanted and he said "no
problem..have you got your Masters card".?   I was a bit puzzled as we
did'nt
go to the Masters contest (although fair play we did offer to help out
Williams Fairey)...then I remembered some firm called HSBC recently sent me
a little bit of plastic for me to "get anything I wanted." Anyway,  I quoted
him a long number and date ....and as I seemed to be on a good thing I asked
for the Silent Brass thing (being kind to animals) as well. Blow me down...I
had them the next day !   If only I'd known it was that easy I'd have asked
for a Callichio or Callet flugel....maybe even a Monette Flumpet.!   I take
back ALL my criticisim of contests .   I think it was a wonderful gesture of
the Masters contest people....and my principal solo cornet is now very
envious.   Better switch off now......my family did send unsubscribe message
to the Listerserver....but it did'nt work.   And am being threatend with
that Home for old demented bandsmen in Bognor again.    I wonder if our old
pals Ernie and Arnie (and the whippet) are still there.    Cheers.    Good
wishes to the band.     David.