Re: Engagements v Contests

I read Robin's listing and it cheered up this old irascible (but
well-meaning) ex-bandsman
immensely...thinking that's exactly how it used to be in the U.K. ! And my
son told me how much he and his wife had thoroughly enjoyed a great annual
concert that Sellers' International gave at Huddersfield on Monday (I think
it was free for the elderly).  Three cheers for both bands !  Then I read
David's listing...and (sorry) groaned....having played many engagements in
"windy fields"...over 50 years' ago when brass bands were actually popular
in this country.  Yes...my band did go to contests (at the most two a
year)...the old Daily Herald and maybe National Eisteddfod...and if we had
done well some of the villagers would turn out to greet the old coach  upon
its return.  But the whole point of its existence  (maybe duty) was to
entertain residents and tourists alike ...and no-one got paid.  Local
events...carnivals, rose days,fetes...depended on the band and gave a
donation to the funds.  We were happy to do it for our own satisfaction
and because we loved playing. And contesting had not become an obsession in
those days.  Now there is no band....no bandstands....no
carnivals or the like.... and organisations march in silence in civic
parades to the cenotaph.   Local folk admit they have never heard a brass
band...or even heard of Faireys, Black Dyke,B. and R.,YBS !  Their only
perception is of "Grimley" (a la Brassed Off).  A neighbouring resort
abandoned concerts by championship bands in 1988 and in my town its about 30
years since there was one in a local theatre (Hammonds Sauce Works).   Sorry
to bang on again but brass bands are IMO losing popularity in the U.K.and
are virtually ignored by the media.    And  no amount of contests will
restore the popularity once enjoyed by brass bands.   SO....(rightly or
wrongly) I applaud the fact that a village actually WANTED a brass band to
play for them....and deplore the fact that a competition is considered more
important.   Surely these days it might have been possible to let a band
compete in the morning...AND complete the engagement in the afternoon (and
get their fee).  David mentioned that "any band can apply for a lottery
grant".   Yes...but I believe that any band now has to prove it sponsors
about 25 concerts a year to qualify.  In that case how can a struggling
village band stand a chance.?   I doubt if any top section band could do
that without huge losses.    I often see paragraphs in the press that such
and such band has been disappointed. Sorry to say again...I find it baffling
to see a fourth section band playing in a contest with a full set ...then
hear they have been given a grant for a new set....then appeal for new
players.    In my last days of banding many (who could afford it) bought
their own...maybe on hire purchase...and the band had to work hard for funds
buy the larger more expensive instruments.    Finally....I still think it is
very wrong that, for instance, a hospital cannot afford a brass band (even
juniors) for its annual summer event .     Do some bands think they are as
important as the National Health Service........deserving of support...in
the form of grants and sponsorship (say to go the Albert Hall)  then
unwilling
to support local worthy causes. ?     Having got that off my chest.....all
success to your band Robin...(.and yours David.)
p.s. (Yes....two o.a.p.s with own instruments (no grants but with reasonable
constitution) have offered to do the hospital event...if they are
desperate...for "nowt" !!).