Re: Trombone Bore

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Keith Williams wrote:

> What is best suited for brass band medium or large bore trombones?
>
> I read somewhere that a 1st trom should play .525" bore and 2nd trom .547" bore.
>
> Is this correct or is down to the individual player?
>
> any opinions?

It's entirely what works for you; unless you're at the very top level of
playing, where this will affect a homogenous section sound, then it will
make very little difference in ensemble terms. I think the numbers are:-

.480 miniscule tenor (think Don Lusher or less)
.508 small bore tenor
.525 mid bore tenor
.547 large bore tenor (think Bach Strad big size)
.562 bass

The wider the bore, the harder you'll have to work for the high notes, but
the lower notes will be easier. It's a trade-off. Generally speaking, the
fashion nowadays is for wider and wider bore instruments, but I think that
the trombone needs to stand off from this a little to retain its identity.
Too many trombone players either sound like a baritone or simply razz, as
they can't properly fill their instruments.

HTH
Dave Taylor