RE: Whit Friday etiquette

I've been doing the Whit Friday marches for around 20 years now and you're
right - it used to be that bands would try & send a runner ahead in a car to
pre-book a band in. My understanding is that this practice is now NOT
allowed - the band is supposed to be present before they can be booked in.

Another point - one or two bands actually started (and were allowed to
play - AND figured in the results !) BEFORE the offical opening time of the
contest. This obviously also gave them an edge in that they could get more
contests in the time supposedly allowed (especially when it comes to the
"overall" prizes (eg. Tameside / Saddleworth prizes).

This is definately against the stated contest rules and should not be
allowed.

There were also occurences of bands booking in after the supposed closing
time of a contest - but we all know that this has always happened, and
probably always will.

You're also right about contest organisers "bending" rules for top bands.
This sort of thing happens time & time again on Whit Friday, much to the
annoyance of all the bandsmen & women who happen not to be playing for a
"name band" on the night.

Still, generally a good night had by all I trust ?

--

njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The list is bought to you with help from Normans Musical Instruments,
http://www.normans.co.uk