WHIT FRIDAY MARCHES - Highlight of my year, so far!

Dear List and especially all subscribing Wusses,

I want to make a public vote of thanks to everyone involved with the Wuss
Brass 2000 appearances at this year's Whit Friday Marches.  (A full list of
information, results, stories, participants etc will start appearing on the
website soon at http://www.justselect.co.uk/wussbrass2000).

The band, which was originally conceived at the Whit Marches 1999, and
thought to be one of those 'great beer-drinking ideas at the time' actually
formulated into a collection of excellent players for an event that I'm sure
will be remembered for years to come - and not just by the members
themselves!!!

With Melvin White at the helm, Graham Walker on the end chair and a fine set
of players throughout the rest of the band, Wuss Brass 2000 made it's first
sound at 12.30 on Friday 17 June at a rehearsal at the hotel.  One of the
founders, Richard Smith, arranged a special fanfare which lead into our
rather alternative march approach piece - The Stripper, and if the crowds
were anything to go by .... it was very, very well received.  In fact, we
had official acknowledgement in Greenfield where we won the Entertainment
Prize (beating 61 other bands!) .... not bad for a group of players who had
only got together for an hour and a half practice beforehand!!

We played ORB for the static march contest and were pleased to hear numerous
comments of recognition that we weren't just a 'novelty band' and that 'we
really could play a blinding march'.  Congratulations to all those other
prizewinners of the day.

The whole weekend represented an immense achievement for everyone involved
as they came from all over the country, and indeed from the USA too.  I also
had great assistance from the support teams - my conductor, my Runner
extraordinaire, my coach drivers and the hotel staff who made life very easy
for rehearsing and relaxing!.

The weekend didn't just stop at the Marches either - a 15 strong group of
players also faced the adversity of the heatwave and entered the Charity
Beer Walk on the Saturday ... a 10 mile walk, cross-country in some places
with accompanying risks of dehydration and altitude sickness by the sounds
of it  .... raising money for the Imperial Cancer Research Fund - they took
their replacement instruments with them (a collection of cardboard
replicas), and marched defiantly into each village, this time singing or
whistling their signature tune of The Stripper .... a fantastic effort on
all their parts, and another example of the great friendships that have now
been made through this special brass banding weekend.

It was also nice to have a brief opportunity to meet some of the Cyberband,
although unfortunately I was unable to meet Nigel himself before they
marched off, so maybe another time Nigel?

If there is anyone out there who has not yet experienced the Whit Friday
Marches, you must make it your goal for next year - Friday 8 June 2001 I
believe - if you are part of the wonderful world of banding this is an
obligatory part of your banding education!!

Thanks again to all the Wuss Brass 2000 inaugural members.

CLAIR TOMALIN
Alias Queen Wuss (soon to abdicate to make way for a future successor!!)
Email: clair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--

njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The list is bought to you with help from Normans Musical Instruments,
http://www.normans.co.uk