RE: James Watson

I have met James Watson on three occasions lastly when he brought the
DB Band to Canada. I think that the last thing I would say about him
was that he was "vulgar , coarse, and of unpolished manners"

I found him affable , approachable and soft spoken.
He was hugely enthusiastic about his players and band.
Since we have only met a few occasions I was surprised
he even remembered me.

He may have "working class" or "middle class"
but he is certainly was gentlemanly in
any contacts I had with him.

The concert was the most enjoyable brass band event
or for that matter concert I have attended.
My wife who usually find most bands "too military"
thought the choice of repertoire was excellent.

Bands would do well to copy his programming style.
He once told me he though brass bands were as
valid a form of musical expression as a chamber orchestra,
symphony or any other ensemble. I find myself
pulling out the Henry V CD more often than
most others. A the Toronto concert there were
subtleties of expression and phrasing one does not often hear
in brass bands.

I hope he has not finished with banding. Both his concerts here
with BD and earlier with Desford were hugely enjoyable.
The Cd's are also enjoyable.

He is entitled to do as he pleases. Perhaps there were artistic compromises
he was not willing to make.

I think the real reason for leaving is that the commuting was a pain
and the band wouldn't go for the helicopter pad on the
roof of the new band room.

Graham J Young
gjyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:gjyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hamilton Musicians Services
Weston Silver Band-Symphony Hamilton
Celebration Brass-McMaster Chamber Orchestra

--

njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The list is bought to you with help from Normans Musical Instruments,
http://www.normans.co.uk